Jessica has a background in marketing/communications. She spent some time as a copywriter; later she did communications for a Pennsylvania nonprofit. Now she’s an SCBWI member and is excited to consider a new chapter in her writing career (because she gets to use the occasional cheesy pun).
Jessica is a…
Writer for Children
Jessica writes picture books. Her debut picture book titled ENOUGH will be published by Tilbury House and is tentatively set to release Fall 2022. She has sold articles to Highlights that are awaiting placement and is a long-term DIY contributor to Wildflowers: A Creative Magazine for Girls. She also writes poetry for children.
Writer for Adults (a Reader, Too)
Jessica writes poetry for adults, as well, and is a volunteer reader for Ember, one of the Empire and Great Jones Little Press literary magazines.
Wife and Mother
She and her family recently moved from Pittsburgh to Lancaster, PA. Jessica and her husband Matthew have two daughters who love to read, too. Collectively, their library overdue fines have a dedicated line-item in the monthly budget.
Jessica loves to create with words, and really anything else she can get her hands on. She is an avid crafter who has refinished antique dining chairs, crocheted sweaters, designed and built miniature mouse houses, and once hoarded a mess of zebra grass with the hopes of making a wreath. She is learning to play the ukulele.
Picture Book Enthusiast
Here are some of her favorite children’s picture books, in no particular order:
- IN A JAR by Deborah Marcero
- DOWN UNDER THE PIER by Nell Cross Beckerman
- SCHOOL’S FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL by Adam Rex, illust. by Christian Robinson
- GOLDFISH ON VACATION by Sally Lloyd-Jones, illust. by Leo Espinoza
- LAST STOP ON MARKET STREET by Matt de la Pena, illust. by Christian Robinson
- THIS IS MY DOLLHOUSE by Giselle Potter
- HOW MANY SEEDS IN A PUMPKIN by Margaret MacNamara, illust. by G. Brian Karas
- THAT NEW ANIMAL by Emily Jenkins, illust. by Pierre Pratt
- WATER IN THE PARK by Emily Jenkins, illust. by Stephanie Graegin
- GOODBYE SUMMER, HELLO AUTUMN by Kenard Pak
- Absolutely anything by Arnold Lobel
email: Jessica@authorjessicawhipple.com | Twitter: @Jessicawhippl17